First a new witness other than the blogger - Jerame Davis, executive director of National Stonewall Democrats, said in an update on Facebook that he witnessed an HRC staffer asking that a transgender flag be removed, though he did not hear the alleged statement regarding marriage and transgender issues.
“I was there. I saw this happen,” Davis wrote on Wednesday. “It was only the HRC reps asking for the trans flag to be moved. If they’d only asked once, I’d have given them a pass, but they continued to harass this person over a flag.”
Davis described the incident as “really poor behavior.”
Second, HRC says it would never do that - “It was agreed that featuring American flags at our program was the best way to illustrate this unifying issue which is why when managing the area behind the podium, several people were asked to move who were carrying organizational banners, pride flags or any other flag that was not an American flag,” the statement read. “Several people refused and they were allowed to stay. The coalition welcomed the variety of signs and flags that were throughout the plaza that demonstrated the wonderful diversity of our community.”
HRC added, “It is a not true to suggest that any person or organization was told their flag was less important than another — this did not occur and no HRC staff member would ever tolerate such behavior. To be clear, it is the position of the Human Rights Campaign that marriage is an issue that affects everyone in the LGBT community.”
So, HRC, an organization defends it’s stance… though I saw like almost NO American flags in any coverage anywhere, lots of rainbow flags, and many HRC equals flags… so even though multiple people say it happened… *sigh*
5 Notes/ Hide
- lizardgate likes this
- fionnalynn said: Basically, no one wants to admit to the mistake for fear of being seen as transphobic. It’s kinda sad when someone can’t simply say “Hey, I misspoke in the heat of the moment and I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.
- heroine-of-heroin-filled-cakes reblogged this from transitiontransmission
- alpha-centauri-rigel reblogged this from transitiontransmission
- butscratcherrrr reblogged this from transitiontransmission
- transitiontransmission posted this